For those who don’t live there, Indiana might not come to mind as a fishing destination, but there is actually great fishing to be found year-round. Stripers, walleye, northern pike, coho salmon, steelhead trout, muskies, crappie, and largemouth bass are just a few of the popular target species. A bit of warning, warm-weather lovers should stick to the spring unless ice fishing on a frozen lake in the winter piques your interest. Here are some of the best fishing spots in Indiana for you to consider for your next trip.
- Driftwood River – this 16-mile stretch of river is a connector along the more popular Flatrock River. Carp, bass, sunfish, and catfish can be found in deep washout holes in the spring.
- Clear Creek – named due to it’s crystal clear waters, this little stream holds various bass species and can be found near the southern border of Cedar Bluffs Nature Preserve.
- Lakes of Hoosier National Forest – the four small lakes in the forest, Indian, Celina, Tipsaw, and Saddle, don’t receive much pressure due to their remote location. Some might require a hike to get to.
- West Fork of White River – the best fishing spots in Indiana aren’t thought to be in urban areas. This fork of the White River runs right through downtown Indianapolis and is one of the best places to fish in Indiana for smallmouth bass.
- Ferdinand Lake – known for big bluegill, this small lake is tucked away in Ferdinand State Forest. Complete with primitive camping, this makes for an all-around wilderness adventure.
- Tippecanoe River – a great place if you’re looking to catch northern pike, try fishing the small stretch of river just below Winamac.
- Eel River – one of the best fishing spots in Indiana for smallmouth bass and carp, but it doesn’t receive much pressure due to its close proximity to the wildly popular White River.
- Bartholomew County’s Owens Bend Park – there is a small lagoon tucked in the park that is perfect for bank fishing.
If you’re ready to start your Indiana fishing adventure, be sure you first purchase your Indiana fishing license. You can also find more of the best places to fish in Indiana using our interactive map. Have fun fishing the Hoosier state!