Photo credit Southern Maryland Fishing
One of the most popular species to target on the U.S. Atlantic coast is a small, silvery fish called the white perch. White perch are a relative of the striped bass, but are smaller in size, typically measuring in at 8-10 inches which makes them an ideal (and delectable) panfish.
They are generally found in brackish waters and freshwater ponds and are most prominent in the Chesapeake Bay and New England region. Here are some useful white perch fishing tips to pack in your bag of tricks on your next fishing adventure!
White Perch Fishing Tips
- Get your fishing license. A simple, yet sometimes overlooked requirement! you can purchase your fishing license online.
- Fish the spring spawn. In April through June, white perch migrate from larger estuaries up into rivers to spawn. This makes for great shore fishing and a denser concentration of fish.
- Fish river mouths. Tributaries outflow into bays create a thriving brackish estuary ideal for catching white perch.
- Use light tackle. Due to their small size, white perch tend to nibble delicately. Light tackle will allow you to feel the most feeble attempts so you can better anticipate the hook set.
- Give them time. Allow your bait to sit as the fish nibbles or else you’ll pull the hook away from them. Set the hook once you feel the perch take the hook.
- Try live bait. White perch love fish delicacies such as worms, minnows and shrimp. Try a few variations to see what works best in your area.
- Try trolling. If you’re a boating angler, trolling is an effective method for catching white perch. Drift slowly with baited lines in the water until you get a bite.
- Quadruple your odds. Try using a sabiki rig to catch multiple white perch at once. Bait each of the tiny hooks with a small minnow and drop down into the strike zone. Set a hook when you feel the strike and drop the line back down to keep fishing.
Try these white perch fishing tips for yourself and you’ll quickly find out why this fish is so fun to catch. It’s also a great species for teaching kids how to fish. Learn more about white perch including where to find them, fishing techniques and types of bait and tackle to use. Happy fishing!